The Truth Is Viral
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a place for fans and friends of The Truth Is Viral to congregate, share opinions, and support one another. I ask everyone to remain civil and respect the T&C's.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

VA Says it Won't Follow New York Gun Law

Go down 
AuthorMessage
OathKeepingJarhead
Admin
OathKeepingJarhead

VA Says it Won't Follow New York Gun Law Empty
PostSubject: VA Says it Won't Follow New York Gun Law   VA Says it Won't Follow New York Gun Law EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 10:55 pm

Now this is one we can toss in the win column for a change. I was baffled to hear that the VA was actually standing up for the rights of their patients for once. I hope they keep this stance even if pressured by new federal laws or regulations of similar nature.

Source.

Quote :
The federal Department of Veterans Affairs says its mental health professionals won't comply with a new gun law in New York that requires them to report the names of patients they believe likely to hurt themselves or others.

The reporting provision is set to take effect Saturday.

Several veterans and their advocates say it would deter many from seeking counseling and medications to deal with post-traumatic stress disorder or other psychological issues. Veterans fear their rights would be taken away.

Under the law pushed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo, the information would be used to determine whether someone should give up a gun license or weapon.

VA spokesman Mark Ballesteros says federal laws protecting veterans' treatment records take precedence.

Back to top Go down

VA Says it Won't Follow New York Gun Law
Page 1 of 1