The Truth Is Viral
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a place for fans and friends of The Truth Is Viral to congregate, share opinions, and support one another. I ask everyone to remain civil and respect the T&C's.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Colorado town considers hunting licenses, bounties for drones

Go down 
AuthorMessage
OathKeepingJarhead
Admin
OathKeepingJarhead

Colorado town considers hunting licenses, bounties for drones Empty
PostSubject: Colorado town considers hunting licenses, bounties for drones   Colorado town considers hunting licenses, bounties for drones EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 10:32 pm

Now even though this is pretty much a symbolic gesture by these people I like the idea. I think more towns should do similar things and maybe that will show the federal government and other agencies that they don't want to live in a surveillance state. I would not advocate actually shooting the large drones though as they could kill someone if they crashed. Now I could see blasting those little helicopter ones, or the ones that fly like birds with a shotgun by someone who is experienced at shooting moving areal targets. I believe we are at a point where we are not going to be able to avoid a full blown police state. Things are just spiraling out of control too fast here in America and my gut is telling me that things are going to go bad quick.

Source.

Quote :
A small town in the state of Colorado is currently weighing a new ordinance that would allow the issuance of hunting licenses for unmanned aerial vehicles, and even offer bounties for their successful takedown.

Deer Trail, a town of some 540 residents that lies 55 miles east of Denver, has drafted what might be described as hostile regulation aimed at drones, outlining the weapons, ammunition, rules of engagement and bounties involved with drone hunting, reports Denver broadcaster ABC 7News.

"The Town of Deer Trail shall issue a reward of $100 to any shooter who presents a valid hunting license and the following identifiable parts of an unmanned aerial vehicle whose markings and configuration are consistent with those used on any similar craft known to be owned or operated by the United States federal government,” reads the ordinance draft.

Though the legislation from the small rural town might seem unusual, Deer Trail resident Phillip Steel admits that the move is purely symbolic.

“Basically, I do not believe in the idea of a surveillance society, and I believe we are heading that way," says Steel.

"We do not want drones in town. They fly in town, they get shot down," he adds.

Though the ramifications of issuing licenses to damage or destroy private or possibly federal property in the form of flying drones seem unclear, the ordinance might ultimately not go beyond a novelty. Kim Oldfield, the town clerk, tells 7News that the so-called drone hunt is not likely to take the form of local vigilantism.

"I can see it as a benefit, monetarily speaking, because of the novelty of the ordinance," says Oldfield.

"Possibly hunting drones in a skeet, fun-filled festival. We’re the home of the world’s first rodeo, so we could home of the world’s first drone hunt. If they were to read it for the title alone and not for the novelty and what it really is, it sounds scary, and it sounds super vigilante and frightening," adds Oldfield.

Though the town might think of the drone hunting ordinance as tongue-in-cheek, it could well also attain a serious political connotation. Debate over the use of drones on US soil is already contentious, with the federal government already deploying military grade drones to patrol borders, and police precincts around the country looking to use unarmed variants to assist with surveillance.

Currently, the town’s ordinance outlines the type of weapons that could be used for the engagement of drones, limited to “any shotgun, 12 gauge or smaller, having a barrel length of 18 inches or greater.” Licenses to shoot down drones, or at least take a shot at one, would be issued anonymously and without a background check. Applicants would also need to be at least 21 years old and capable of reading and understanding English.

Deer Trail mayor Franks Fields has not yet decided how he feels about the potential drone hunting legislation.

"I haven't made my decision yet. It's all novelty. Do a little drone fest, get people to come out, have fun," Fields tells 7News.

The town board is scheduled to consider the ordinance on August 6.
Back to top Go down

Colorado town considers hunting licenses, bounties for drones
Page 1 of 1