The Truth Is Viral
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a place for fans and friends of The Truth Is Viral to congregate, share opinions, and support one another. I ask everyone to remain civil and respect the T&C's.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Veterans Affairs workers reap bonuses despite claims backlog

Go down 
AuthorMessage
OathKeepingJarhead
Admin
OathKeepingJarhead

Veterans Affairs workers reap bonuses despite claims backlog Empty
PostSubject: Veterans Affairs workers reap bonuses despite claims backlog   Veterans Affairs workers reap bonuses despite claims backlog EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 1:38 pm

As a disabled veteran with continuous health problems this story infuriates me like no other. These people are failing in their jobs and the entire claims department is in shambles and yet the workers are receiving bonuses. So while struggling veterans sit around waiting for the benefits that they deserve the people who are directly responsible for the tremendous backlog are being rewarded for their failures. I just don't know what more to say about this except it is a disgrace and should outrage many other people just as it has me.

Source.

Quote :
Staffers in the Department of Veterans Affairs have been reaping millions of dollars in bonuses despite a huge backlog of cases that has veterans waiting hundreds of days for compensation.

The bonuses were reported Monday by journalism project News21, whose findings were published in The Washington Post.

The report said that in 2011, more than two-thirds of claims processors received a total of $5.5 million in bonuses. That same year, the backlog of claims swelled by 155 percent.

The bonuses reportedly created a perverse system, where workers were encouraged to stick to simple cases in order to meet certain performance benchmarks -- in turn ignoring claims that required additional attention.

"At the beginning of the month ... I'd try to work my really easy stuff so I could get my numbers up," Renee Cotter, a union steward for a Reno, Nev., chapter, reportedly said.

The VA is now pushing to eliminate the backlog by 2015. Officials in the VA defend the employees, saying the bonuses are justified because workers are processing more claims than ever in order to try and thin the backlog.

Back to top Go down

Veterans Affairs workers reap bonuses despite claims backlog
Page 1 of 1