The Truth Is Viral
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a place for fans and friends of The Truth Is Viral to congregate, share opinions, and support one another. I ask everyone to remain civil and respect the T&C's.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

VA cards put veterans at risk, scanners reveal social security numbers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
OathKeepingJarhead
Admin
OathKeepingJarhead

VA cards put veterans at risk, scanners reveal social security numbers Empty
PostSubject: VA cards put veterans at risk, scanners reveal social security numbers   VA cards put veterans at risk, scanners reveal social security numbers EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 2:12 am

Just when you think that the VA can't screw things up any worse than they already are we now find out any idiot with a smartphone can gain our social security number by scanning the barcode on our card with an app. With over 500,000 veterans claims backlogged and now this and many more issues it is time for some real action to be taken to care for the men and women who risk it all for us and our freedom. I served and it sucks to come home and be treated so poorly by the VA and the4 government after I kept up my end of the deal and now it is their turn and they constantly fail. So many veterans are struggling due to the malfeasance of the VA. I guess if you are a veteran you better hold that card close and never lose it.

Source.

Quote :
Anyone with a smart phone and a bar code app can scan any VA identification card issued since 2004 and the cardholders’ social security number immediately pops up on the screen.

Tampa businessman and Army veteran Barry Landau wants answers.

“I didn’t think that was possible.” Landau said.

“The card is absolutely no good.”

The I-Team found the VA published warnings about the veterans information or VIC cards on their website back in 2011 and in July of this year.

The alert states that "Some barcode readers, including those available as applications on cell phones, can scan the bar code on the front of the card, and reveal the veteran's social security number."

Thirty year Navy veteran Walt Raysick who holds a leadership position with the American Legion, says that the VA failed to alert him of the card’s vulnerability.

“That’s my social security number. That’s terrible.” Raysick said.

No one from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs would go on camera to answer questions.

A spokesperson for the VA did respond saying that they've begun work on the next generation ID card which will not contain a social security number.

However it's not being rolled out until next year.

Dave Braun, Co-Chairman of the Veterans Memorial Park Museum Committee, said the VA should have done more to get the word out about the risk of identity theft if one these cards is lost or stolen.

“Where is the distribution to notify everyone?” Braun said. “They are not telling anyone about it.”

Congressmen Gus Bilirakis, Vice Chairman of the Veterans' Affairs Committee, said that it is, “…unacceptable that nothing more immediate has been done to rectify this issue…The VA should take all precautions to make sure this information is protected."

Meanwhile, veterans should treat their current ID cards as they do their social security card and leave home with out it, unless it is needed for a day-of appointment.
Back to top Go down

VA cards put veterans at risk, scanners reveal social security numbers
Page 1 of 1